Hey there Beautiful Soul,
So today is what has been deemed Blue Monday – the most depressing day of the year. I’ve woken up with the migraine hangover from hell – the after effects of migraine yet I’m at work + i’m still chirpy. Not fan-fare happy (my colleagues are really overjoyed about that!), but just chipper.
So my girlfriends text me this morning and said “come on Little Miss Sunshine – tell me how I can survive today!”
I have to admit – getting such a text on a day when I feel less than brilliant is not the best welcome to Monday I’ve ever had but I think I need to work it out as much as anyone else.
Here’s my top 5 ways to beat those Monday Blues;
- Self Care – Make time for you today. Whether it’s half an hour at lunchtime, or when you get home tonight from work, before you go to bed or your two minute toilet break. Take some time just for you. I grab time for me wherever I can! Believe me, so many of my toilet breaks have resulted in 2 minutes of 7/11 breathing techniques, affirmations and EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique)! Just having that time to yourself to do something for yourself can really make a difference.
- MapQuest your Life – This has been instrumental in my mornings – on those days when I feel less than motivated I turn to MapQuesting my life, my month, my week, my day – even my morning or afternoon. Grab a piece of paper and at one end of your page (works best horizontally) write down where you are right now (not your exact location – just where you are right now in life or emotionally/mentally/physically in health+ fitness terms), and then at the other end of your page write down where you’d like to be. In between those two points make a few dots to represent your map – funk it up a little and use symbols, colours, anything that makes it inspiring to you. At each of these dots-points in your MapQuest you need to write down what you need to do to move one step closer to your goal.
- Practice Gratitude + Appreciation – Write down 3, 5 or 10 things you are grateful for. Keep it on your desk, your note taking phone app, pinned on your fridge, in your journal/diary and look at it often. This will give you a sense of just how good your life really is. You have clean water, clean clothes, food to eat, a home to live in, a bed to sleep in, – seriously you already are living the good life. Appreciate it more.
- Move More – Exercise makes you happy. Before you kill me it has been scientifically proved that through exercise all these happy mojo chemicals get released in your brain, the good stuff. Serotonin, Dopamine – the really good natural highs are activated by getting that workout in. So simply move more. Go for a walk at lunch, shake your booty at Zumba (like I will be doing again after work), run on the treadmill or better still go for a run – like out there – in nature + the rain 🙂
- Look at yourself in the mirror – I can 100% guarantee that when you look in the mirror whatever your skin condition, colour of eyes, hair style (or lack thereof) when you focus in on your skin searching for imperfections (which by the way there aren’t any – YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!!) your skin colour whatever beautiful shade it is, it WILL NOT BE BLUE. You are NOT a smurf (sadly – I always saw myself as Smurfette – shame) so therefore you do not have blue skin, you do not have any excuse to be blue about on Monday or any other day.
So there are my top 5 ways to beat Blue Monday, so let’s go kick ass today! (Even though I have now given myself hiccups writing this – seriously not again!)
Speak really soon,
Little Miss Sunshine,